Thursday, February 6, 2014

28. Sylvia

Nedda, Alex and I attend this free yoga session on Saturdays in the gallery area of a nearby coffee shop.

Our instructor's name is Sylvia. Yoga is her passion, to the point where she works a bunch of little jobs just so she can afford to do it, and to offer the free class on Saturdays, which we attend out of convenience and less for price. Alex and Nedda attend her other classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays too to help support the cause.

A lot of the reason why I go is Sylvia. Yoga is yoga. If you stretch yourself in the right way and try to make yourself as mentally present as possible, you leave the class with this workout high and a new level of clarity. I swear it's the best way to curb anxiety. What makes Sylvia so great though is the fact that her presence is just warm. She has the demeanor of a kindergarten teacher. She's firm in her practice and expects you to push yourself just a little each class, but she's incredibly sincere and welcoming.

She also gives hugs. I have no idea why this is a big deal to me, but anyone who contributes to my peace of mind that much deserves a hug and the best karmic reward possible, tailored specifically to their own person.

Sylvia is like a big sister. During class last week she adjusted my spine placement while I was doing down dog. After class we briefly chatted and she said,

"Girl, I don't know what's causing you all that stress but you can feel it all up your spine. Just let go. Let go!"

Let go.

You got it, Sylvia.

No comments:

Post a Comment