Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Update: Note From the Writer

Holy crap it's been just over a month since I started this little literary shindig and a lot has happened, not just outside of, but because of this blog.

What's changed? Well for starters, it's gotten me in the physical habit of writing everyday to the point where if I run out of steam and don't make a post one day I actually feel bad about it. (Though I can assure you that just because I don't post here doesn't mean I haven't written.)

I also figured out that this is sort of like Humans of New York. My apologies Brandon, I didn't mean to steal your idea though it has kept me inspired. For any reader who hasn't checked out his work, you should immediately. It's absolutely brilliant.

This blog has also made me more observant of the world around me. I've taken to leaving my I Pod at home some days just so I can hear the sounds of my city. A college professor once told me,

"Don't tell, show. What does the temperature feel like? What does the air smell like? How dense is it? What are you hearing or seeing? What are you physically feeling? What do the 5 senses make you emotionally feel like? This is your experience. Give your readers that!"

You can't really appeal to the senses if you're not actively experiencing them are you?

I had a conversation with a good friend of mine who recently lost a parent, something I've touched upon in this blog so far, I was coaching her through her grief maintenance and she asked me,

"I just don't understand how important my situation is where some people have it better or worse. How can I justify my feelings when other people have feelings to?"

The way we justify how we feel about navigating this crazy world is by understanding that what you feel may not be unique, it is unique to you, and the fact that people have varying degrees of anything is humanity. It's the way we connect-by trying to find a link between our ego and our empathy with another person.

Here's to 333 more stories. You ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment