Friday, January 24, 2014

14. Tina and Lisa

I'm eating a cookie at Lisa's kitchen table and she breezes by me, putting away cake pans from her in-home bakery,

"You have been our baby since the moment you were born, and you will always be our baby no matter how old you are." She says about her and her sister in regards to me.

Tina and Lisa are my dad's cousins and have been my primary source of maternal wisdom since my mother died. They also acted as back up whenever my mom disappeared, which was actually quite a lot. If it's true when they say that it takes a village to raise a child, the one that raised me was loud, warm, and Italian.

I have memories of making anise cookies and playing with their kids when we were all young. They were always the ones that took care of me when I was sick and always knew what to say to make me feel better about anything.

I'm eternally grateful for them in ways I'm too tired to articulate.

"Keep kicking ass-that's how you can show us you love us!"

Will do, girls. Will do.




No comments:

Post a Comment