Wednesday, January 15, 2014

6. CTA Bus Driver

Yesterday, I get out off the Clyborn Red Line terminal right as the bus home is about to leave the stop. It's cold out, somewhere in the high teens low twenties. I make it across the street to where the bus is stopped about 2 cars ahead of the actual stop at the light. I knock on the door and the driver points to the next stop which is about 1/8 of a mile down the road.

Now I understand that he doesn't have to let me on at a non stop, but it's freezing out and you think he'd have some type of compassion, but he doesn't. So I attempt to run the 8th of a mile to the next stop, but he beats me to it and keeps going. If you're going to motion me to the next stop at least wait the minute while I catch up, right?

I'm out of breath and the cold causes my heart to hurt. I give the bus the finger and a big ol' Bostonian, "FAHK YOU AHSSHOLE!" as I watch it pull away. I walk to the closest stop and wait the 8 minutes for the next bus.  (Usually it's 20 minutes. I'm grateful it was quicker.)

I am tempted to tell the bus driver of the one I actually get on but I know she doesn't want to hear it, so I keep quiet.

Today I get out of the Clyborn terminal to go home and wait for the bus. Who pulls up but that jerk bus driver. I tap my Ventra pass on the touch pad, try to look him in the eyes to say thank you, but my gratitude and my gaze both go unanswered.

I thank him getting off the bus too. He did his job. He got me home safely. As for his attitude, well that's his problem and I'll let it stay that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment