Saturday, January 25, 2014

16. Bus Girls

I'm on the 72 headed west back to my apartment. The bus is packed but I managed to find a seat. Two girls make there way in front of me, holding on to the rubber straps on the metal railings. They're loud and curvaceous, clad in bright prints and fake lashes. At first I'm annoyed. My commute is always noisy no matter what time it is.

But there's something in the way they carry themselves. They radiate with enthusiasm, whether they're making fun of each other or speaking of how awkward public transport is. I'm half listening to my friend beside me, and half to them.  I find my in to their conversation, complimenting the girl in front of me on her leather jacket. Her friend pipes in to make a joke. I engage in conversation with them for a few stops.

I doubt I'll ever see them again. Extreme weather conditions make us adjust our travel habits. Hell, anything can make you adjust your travel habits.

I hold true to my notion that anybody can be a friend, even for a moment, if you're both willing and open.

No comments:

Post a Comment